On Saturday I spent time clearing out the last of the daylily detritus from last year. We have a long narrow planting bed with literally thousands of daffodils and daylilies – the daffodils come up first and then the daylilies get large and cover the final vestiges of the daffodils. After that, in the fall/winter, I clean up the daylilies and then it’s all ready to start again. The problem is that I waited rather long to get to it so the daffodils had already started popping up, and I spent quite a bit of time apologizing to the little leaves I accidentally stepped on.

Cleaned up just in time though – because on Sunday we had our first bloom! And no doubt there are new ones that I will see today…